“The Art of Sharing Life Stories with the Masses”
Presented by American/Mexican filmmaker and photographer Alejandro Gomeze-Meade. During the workshop, participants will be taught how to use their smartphones to narrate their stories through a series of photos or a video. Each participant is required to make a series of six photos or a video on a topic he/she picks, from which we will choose the best to publish on renowned Palestine Chronicle website, run by Palestinian/American journalist Ramzy Baroud.
“The Legal Aspect in Media Coverage”
The Majed Abu Sharar Media Foundation (MASMF) in partnership with the Center for Refugee Rights/Aidoun (CRR) and with the support of the Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) is organizing a training workshop titled “The Legal Aspect in Media Coverage”, which includes three main topics:
1) International Humanitarian Law and the International Human Rights Law, presented by Dr. Karim Al Mufti,
2) The particularity of the status of Palestinian Refugees in the International Refugee Law and the rights of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon, presented by Jaber Soleiman,
3) How to highlight the issue of refugees from a legal point of view in journalism writing and how to protect civilians in journalism writing? presented by Journalist Saada Allaw.
ABC of Journalism, Photography, and Film-Making
1) Intro to basic principles of journalism. 2) method of writing a journalism piece in a professional manner so as not to be manipulated or wrongly understood. 3) correct way of using and posting on social media outlets. 4) method of getting the message out to a western audience without undermining it. 5) method of taking a photo or making a video through a camera and a smart phone.
- What is the Code of Ethics in Journalism and How to Apply it in my Journalism Work?: A three-day course journalist and trainer Ramzi Khouri.
- Book Signing: Majed Abu Sharar a journey that has not ended yet” in Amman, Jordan.
- Techniques of Writing a News Item and a Headline: ) A three-day course by journalist and writer Jehad Ranteesy.
- Our Lives and the News: Three training sessions at Ahlam Laja’ premises in Shatila camp in cooperation with Tawasal NGO. The training was conducted by journalist at AsSafir newspaper Saada Allaw.
- Lobbying and Advocacy Skills: Three training sessions at the premises of Fraternity Association for Cultural and Social Work in Bourj el Barajneh camp in cooperation with Tawasal NGO. The training was conducted by Lebanese blogger and civil activist Imad Bazzi.
- The Arts of News Writing: A five-day course at the Women Program Association premises in Bourj el Barajneh camp in cooperation with the Media Development Center at Birzeit University in Palestine. The training was conducted by university professor and columnist Saleh Masharqa.
- Literary Approach on the Creative Production of Refugees in Palestine and Refugees in the Diaspora: An encounter between Palestinian poet and writer Sonia Khader who resides in Ramallah and Palestinian writer displaced from Syria and currently residing in Lebanon, Bassam Jamil. The encounter took place at Beit Atfal Al Smoud at Mar Elias camp.
- Mapping of the Palestinian Media Scene in Palestinian camps and gatherings in Lebanon: The mapping was conducted by Hadeel Al Zoabi from Ayn el Helweh camp.
- Designing Training methodologies: The Foundation has also designed a series of training courses organized for youth from different Palestinian camps and gatherings in Lebanon for an international NGO. Training methodologies are also one of MASMF’s actions plans for all future trainings in the Palestinian camps in Lebanon.
Future Courses (Funding needed):
- Basic Journalism Training for Beginners.
- The ABC of Journalism in the west, and dos and don’ts when approaching a western audience on the internet.
- The Skills of Scientific and Journalistic Research.
- The Skills of Creative Writing.
- How to Deal with Local and Foreign Journalists
- English courses (beginners, intermediate and advanced levels)
- Broadcast journalism